Sunday, April 8, 2018

Finnabair Patina Paste - Scrap Matrix Design Team

Hi Everyone, 

I am here with you today to bring with you my second project for the Scrap Matrix Texture Challenge. This project is a mixed media canvas which showcases Finnabair Patina Pastes and also highlights recycling a few things that perhaps could have been destined for the rubbish bin. 


So when I mention recycling I ask you to take a little look at the below photo, you will see wool, lace and packaging. This has all been adhered down with 3D gloss gel. The wool can be a little tricky, it requires a bit of work and manipulation but once it is down and set it is well and truly set. 



To the sides of my canvas I adhered strings of dangly curtain screen pieces. Sorry, this name is not too descriptive is it? I bought a whole screen of these dangly things, I think they may date back to the 70's. 


Through a stencil apply some Finnabair Modeling Paste to your canvas. The stencil I have used below is old stock from the Finnabair line. Any stencil could be used here as long as you are giving some texture to your canvas. There are so many gorgeous stencils in the Scrap Matrix store to choose from. 


After allowing ample time for the modelling paste to dry it is time for the fun part to start. It is time to start applying the patina pastes. For my background you will see the main colour is the bronze, I dabbed and dabbed and dabbed until the canvas was coloured in all the cracks. Once this was dry I lightly applied the lighter blue and green colours until I was happy. I used both a brush and my finger. 



Cannot help myself, I am back again with my glossy accents raised dots. Once these were dry I gave them and other raised area on my canvas a light rub with Metalliqe Wax in Vintage Gold



Here we have one of my husbands old paint brushes, this was destined for the rubbish bin. I decided to rescue it. 


I made an embellishment stack using bronze embellishments from the Scrap Matrix Store. 


A coat of clear gesso must be applied to the brush prior to the patina paste. The gesso will give the brush tooth for the patina to stick to. NOTE - the little clay face is one I made myself with a mould and some Fimo. 


Patina to my brush and then adhere brush to the canvas, and you are DONE! :-) 


Who is out there and feeling a little mixed media inspired? as you can see this project 'may' look complicated but it is actually quite simple to put together. I urge you to step outside of your comfort zone. 

Wishing you a happy and creative day. 

~ Rebecca ~


Scrap Matrix Products Used

21 comments: