I am here today to share with you a steampunk style hair piece. Now you may look at this and think, hmmm that is a bit much to wear every day. Yes possibly it is, you would be right. However, who doesn't want to get a little fancy occasionally? we all do right?. I have always wanted to attempt a hair piece and I am pretty happy with how this has turned out. Can you imagine this with an all black outfit, oh yes I can!.
Let's talk about how this was all constructed. I began by adhering a piece of 'White Hot' paper from the Sunrise-Senset Collection to a piece of metal backed card. With the metal side up I used foam pad to apply alcohol inks in colours Caramel and Latte. Once dry I added a sprtiz of isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) which gave my metal card a beautiful mottled effect.
Using the holes in a alligator hair clip I added jump rings and chain, finishing with adhering ribbon around the entire clip.
Taking one small and one large bottle cap I used 3D Matte Gel to adhere a combination of Copper Glass Glitter, Licorice Glass Beads and small watch parts. Finishing by adding a small Mechanicals metal tassel. The flower is all held together using 3D Matte Gel, please allow adequate time to dry.
Using a small paint brush I applied Aged Bronze Patina to my cogs and to the metal element from the Mechanical Small Leaves 2 collection. A small amount of Viva Inka Gold was then added to give the pieces some further shine.
I took the small clock from the Mechanicals Clock packet and brushed on a small amount Aged Bronze Patina. After this was dry I added random thick spots of Art Extravagance Texture Paste Copper Crackle.
The clock face was then filled with small clock parts and Glossy Accents was added to give the face a semi glass look finish.
I had these chipboard leaves in my stash, I gave them a good inking with Walnut Distress Ink, then I applied Art Extravagance Texture Paste Copper Crackle with a small paint brush dabbing it on quite thickly. Once the crackle paste had dried to create a beautiful crackle I then applied more Walnut Distress Ink pushing it into all the cracks.
As I will be wearing this hair piece I wanted it all to hold together forever and be able to handle being taken in and out of my hair. To hold all my base elements together I used a very strong bond super glue. Beginning with layering feathers then chipboard then my metal leaf with clock. Once these had dried and were securely held in place I used 3D Matte Gel to adhere my flower on top.
I could not make something like this without actually showing you what it would look like in my hair, here is my selfie for you. I wish this photo was of much better quality, apologies my phone is due a serious upgrade.
I hope I have inspired you all to create something different and out of the ordinary.
I wish you all a very happy and creative day.
~ Rebecca ~
Alcohol Inks Caramel and Latte